From: AUDITORY Research in Auditory Perception
[mailto:AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Lewis, Dawna E
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2006 9:24 AM
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: FW: [AUDITORY] Reading versus books on tape

 Anecdotes continued:  Retention also can be related to reading ability.
have a brother-in-law and nephew with reading disabilities.  My
brother-in-law was not diagnosed while in school.  He learns best and
retains
information well when he watches programs about a topic or has someone
read
him the text.  He later can go back and find the information he wants
from
text but to read it himself is very laborious, causing him to avoid it
whenever possible!  My nephew was just diagnosed at age 13 years. If
someone
reads a text to him he retains the information well and is able to
correctly
answer questions.  If he reads it himself, his retention is very poor. I
was
told that the school has decided to allow him to have text for
reading-intensive classes recorded (books on tape) and to provide
additional
support for reading material. I wonder if re-listening is the same as
re-reading in terms of the depth of understanding and ability to ponder
passage?

Sincerely,
Dawna Lewis