Re: identification task...negative d' values.

Negative values simply mean that the listener consistently used the wrong label. Quite reasonable in an identification task, I suppose. If the values are small (less than the variability of the measure) I would chalk it up to random variability. If they are large, then it is a meaningful result that should be interpreted. I wonder, though, how are you calculating d' from three phoneme labels? Feel free to contact me off-list.

Erick Gallun
Postdoctoral Fellow
Hearing Research Center
Boston University