perceptual segregation of sound

My question is: are we really capable of perceptually
segregating multiple sources concurrently, or are we just focusing our
attention on one source, and then shifting it very quickly to another
source?

I think another factor to consider in the concurrent segregation of sounds is that much of the segregation may be accomplished pre-attentively. Low-level (in the brain, and even cochlea) feature detectors may segregate aspects of sounds, if not the sounds themselves, well before they percolate up to what we call "consciousness." This would depend on the type of segregating cue under consideration, whether it is pitch, spatial location, onset time, etc.

Dan Levitin