From: AUDITORY Research in Auditory Perception
[mailto:AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Erick Gallun
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 9:19 AM
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Perceptual experiments

As long as we are all throwing our 2 cents in, I'd suggest Matlab as a
great place to start.  It has the advantage of being a single
environment in which you can design stimuli, collect and analyze data
and perform model simulations.  It also provides a very flexible
graphical output mechanism.  In addition, the number of labs using it is
very large, providing a wide range of fellow-users to draw upon.

In terms of programming, I have written experiments in Max/MSP,
Psyscope, Pascal and Matlab and find Matlab to be a wonderful compromise
between high-level opaque programs and low-level, steep-learning-curve
languages.

Erick Gallun
Hearing Research Center
Boston University