Re: AUDITORY Digest - 24 Sep 2005 to 25 Sep 2005 (#2005-193)

there was a very useful article in the most recent issue Electronic Musician magazine (October 2005) comparing a number of digital recorders, ranging from $650 to $2500.

Scott Lipscomb

At 11:03 PM 9/25/2005, you wrote:

Date:    Sun, 25 Sep 2005 19:00:37 -0400
From:    Satrajit Ghosh <satrajit.ghosh@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Portable speech recorder

Dear List members,

I know there has been a discussion of several portable recorders on
the list. Is there any recorder optimized for speech recording (e.g.,
can handle setting different sampling rates in the 8-16KHz range)?

I know there are several hand held voice recorders out there, but most
of the time they don't provide any specifications about the storage
format or sampling rate used.

In particular I'm looking for something that has
- a digital interface
- a decent microphone or mic/line in
- large storage (preferably digital)
- continuous recording (20-24 hours)
- adjustable sample rates specific for speech

Are there any recommendations?

Thanks,

Satra

Dr. Scott D. Lipscomb, Associate Professor
Music Education & Music Technology
Northwestern University School of Music
(847) 467-1682
lipscomb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx