errors in harmonic chord identification

Dear list

I am looking for information on the errors listeners make when identifying
isolated harmonic chords (major / minor / augmented / diminished / dominant
7th).

For example if a major chord is presented in a particular inversion, or with
particular spacing between the notes in the chord (not all confined to a
single octave) could this be mistaken for a minor or other chord type? How
important is instrumentation (although I assume pitch relationship is more
important)?

Does anyone know of any studies that have investigated this?

many thanks

Riana