the autocorrelation function for measuring the F0

Dear members of the list,

another question I am still trying to answer is:

When calculating the F0 from the speech sample, I automatically use the autocorrelation function. But, what does the autocorrelation function really do? Is it a similar mechanism as in the FFT (multiplying the speech sample with an appropiate window, if I am not terribly mistaken) ?

Thanks again,

Stephen