Re: audio editor

Dear Jim,

First of all, thank you for pointing to this program, which I didn't know.
So I just downloaded the binary pointed by this link: http:// www.speech.kth.se/wavesurfer/wavesurfer-1.8.3-osx.tar.gz (Mac OS X version)
It simply decompressed to an executable named WaveSurfer-1.8.3 and launched. Maybe you have mistakenly downloaded the source ?

Another one you might like to try is Audacity (http:// audacity.sourceforge.net/), which is multi-platform as well. It has quite many features, and is free ("as in speech"), as WaveSurfer.
It works well on OS X, I've been recently editing a several hundred megabytes sound with it.

Although I haven't got much experience with them, I'll also mention:
- AudioXplorer (15$, Mac only): http://www.arizona-software.ch/ applications/audioxplorer/en/
- Sonogram (free & multi-platform) : http://www.dfki.de/~clauer/ programming.html
The latter is not a sound editor, but might interest people working in speech processing. It has a tendency to hog my CPU, though.

Best regards,
Mehmet.