Perceptual experiments

Hi all,

I am sure a lot of people on this list have extensive experience of doing
perceptual experiments with humans. This is the first time I am trying to
do it. From all the papers, I have read on perceptual experiments, I have
realized that there a lot of factors that need to be taken care of in
getting good results...things like - do you randomize a set of stimuli
from the same source to remove any kind of bias, or present them in
succession - should you do a forced classification between 2 items or let
the users give their own inputs - how many iterations should be done - how
long should the training phase be - what kind of stimuli should the
training contain etc etc.

So, I was wondering if there is anything like a general
checklist/questionnaire of items to be kept in mind to remove all kinds of
known bad effects? Or does anyone know of any papers or books on how to
design a perceptual experiment?

I will appreciate any kind of help!

With warm regards,
Tarun