Cochlear simulation demonstration software

Participants in this list may be interested to try out a new piece of
free software developed by Mark Huckvale that displays dynamically an
auditory spectrogram, along with the acoustic waveform and a
representation of basilar membrane motion, among other pieces of
information. This program would serve well as a classroom demonstration,
and we also have a laboratory exercise using it as part of a course on
the acoustics of speech and hearing for trainee speech and language
therapists/pathologists (lab sheet also available on the Web site).

The program, called CochSim can be found (along with much other useful
software) at:

http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/resource/software.html

ESYNTH & ESYSTEM are, in my experience, particularly useful
pedagogically. ESYSTEM includes an extensive tutorial.

/*------------------------------------------------------*/
Stuart Rosen, PhD
Professor of Speech and Hearing Science
Dept of Phonetics & Linguistics