Re: ICA, a key to solve the puzzle of hearing

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005, Guoping Li wrote:

 ICA was designed to solve the problem of cocktail party effect using
 higher order statistical methods. Is it possible that we can use this
 technique and implement it in the hearing aid or cochlear implant?

Toth Laszlo wrote:
As far as I remember, when ICA is used for blind signal separation, it
needs at least N input signals (for example, from a microphone array) for
extracting N independent components.
:(

That's true, but there is no reason a priori why one shouldn't build a device that incorporates dozens of microphone capsules in the users clothing, and that could separate dozens of different sources. Then you'd just need a little switch that allows you to quickly scan through those separated sources to find the one you want to listen to. It wouldn't be very "biological", but it might nevertheless work quite well.

Jan
Dr. Jan Schnupp
University Laboratory of Physiology             St Peter's College
Oxford University                               New Inn Hall Street
Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PT, UK                  Oxford OX1 2PL
Tel (01865) 272513                              Tel (01865) 278889
Fax (01865) 272469