Re: Stop consonant identification based on initial spectra?

Peter,

It does appear that the place-of-articulation related patterns of stop
consonant burst spectra are relatively invariant:

Stevens, K. N., & Blumstein, S. E. (1981).  The search for invariant
acoustic correlates of phonetic features.  In Eimas, P. D., & Miller, J. L.
(Eds.) Perspectives on the Study of Speech (pp. 1-38). Lawrence Erlbaum
Associates, Inc.

Furthermore, burst spectra are apparently usable as acoustic cues to place
of articulation, but they do not appear to be as useful as formant
transitions, and given a choice listeners tend to prefer formant transitions:

Walley, A. C., & Carrell, T. D. (1983).  Onset spectra and formant
transitions in the adult's and child's perception of place of articulation
in stop consonants.  Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 73,
1011-1022.

It's even difficult (though probably not impossible) to train listeners to
use burst properties instead of formant transitions. It seems to be
comparatively easier to train listeners to use formant transitions instead
of bursts.

Francis, A. L., Baldwin, K., & Nusbaum, H. C. (2000).  Effects of training
on attention to acoustic cues. Perception and Psychophysics,62(8), 1668-1680.

Where did you see the poster?  Do you remember the authors' names?

-alex