Re: 'Quintina' in Sardinian polyphonic songs: virtual voices or DPOAEs?

Combination tones that are higher than
the two primary sine-tones are recorded
in Figs. 10, 11, and 12 of R. Plomp,
"Detectability Threshold for Combination Tones",
J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 37 (1965) 1110-1123.

According to Figs. 10 and 11 (sound pressure levels
of the primary sine-tones 80 dB and 70 dB, respectively),
during a deeper tone of d=1000 Hz and a simultaneous
higher tone of h=1200 Hz, two of the four subjects heard
a combination tone of 5d-3h = 1400 Hz.

At d=1000 Hz and h=2400 Hz, the same two subjects
heard 2h-2d = 2800 Hz (Fig. 11; 70 dB).

Reinhart Frosch,
CH-5200 Brugg.
reinifrosch@xxxxxxxxxx