Re: Criteria for sound design in web applications

Dear Philipp,

Scott Lipscomb has done some related work in this area in film (see
references below). I would also argue that this topic does fit quite well
within the realm of auditory display.  Stephen Brewster has presented A/V
work in this area at recent auditory display meetings (ICAD).  The
proceedings are online at www.icad.org.

Lipscomb, S.D. (1997).  Perceptual measures of visual and auditory cues in
film music.  Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 101(5, ii), p.
3190.

Lipscomb, S.D. (1995).  Cognition of musical and visual accent structure
alignment in film and animation.  In D. Wessel's (Ed.) Proceedings of the
Conference of the Society for Music Perception and Cognition, 35.

Lipscomb, S.D. & Kendall R.A. (1994).  Perceptual judgment of the
relationship between musical and visual components in film.
Psychomusicology, 13(1), 60-98.

Walker, A. & Brewster, S. (2001). SITTING TOO CLOSE TO THE SCREEN CAN BE BAD
FOR YOUR EARS: A STUDY OF AUDIO-VISUAL LOCATION DISCREPANCY DETECTION UNDER
DIFFERENT VISUAL PROJECTIONS. Proceedings of the 2001 International
Conference on Auditory Display, Espoo, Finland, July 29-August 1, 2001

-John
________________________________
John G. Neuhoff
Department of Psychology