Re: 1/f spectra

Hi Jan:

I don't know the Science paper you refer to, but there have been a few studies on the spectra on natural sounds:.  The problem is the particular setting or corpus of sounds surveyed will affect the results.

Hodgson, M. R., Rempel. R.& Kennedy, S. (1997).  “Measurement and prediction of typical speech and backgroundnoise levels in university classrooms during lectures,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 105(1), 226-233.

and

Hoth, D.F. (1941).  “Room noise spectra at subscriber’s telephone locations,”  J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 12, 499-504.

looked at classroom and offices, respectively, and generally found that the spectrum of summed background sounds rolls off (declines in amplitude) according to a 1/f function, somewhat similar to pink noise.

However, in Gygi, B., Kidd, G. R. and Watson, C. S. "Spectral-temporal factors in the identification of natural sounds", to be published in JASA in Jan/Feb., I summed 100 environmental sounds and found that the long-term spectrum had slightly less than a 1/f slope, possibly due to the inclusion of a number of impact sounds that had high frequency transients.

In general, in

Attias, H. &  Schreiner, C. E. (1997). “Temporal loworder statistics of natural sounds”. In Advances in Neural Info Processing Systems, 9, edited by M. Mozer (MIT Press, Cambridge, MA), pp 27-33.

the authors examined low-order statistics for speech, environmental sounds and music gathered from samples on CD sound effects.  They found that the power spectra rolled off according to a modified power law:
S(T) = 1/(T02 + T2)"/2
where S(T) is the amplitude of the spectrum at frequency T, " ranges from 1.0-2.5, and T0 specifies the  f at which the rolloff begins.  The rolloff value is higher for speech than music or environmental sounds.  Note that the 1/f spectral rolloff mentioned above is a special case of this general law.

I hope this helps.

Brian