two questions about music notes

Dear list,

I am a graduate student currently working a multipitch detection for music. because I am not familiar with the music theory, I am wondering if anyone can help me with the following two questions. thanks a lot.

1. what are the notes mostly oftenly used in music? Although
the frequency range of  music spans about 8 octaves, but it seems
the most oftenly used notes are limited to certain frequency range. Is
there any work done regarding this, as counting the letter frequency
in written works?

2. what's the most often used intervals in music chords? I don't think two simultaneous notes with a semitone apart is often used for it is probably difficult to distinguish them.

Yipeng Li
Graduate Research Assistant
Computer and Information Science Department
the Ohio State University
USA