pitch extraction

I have two requests for suggestions; one theoretical and one practical.

First, the theoretical. I'm looking for some basic references on
different ways of doing pitch extraction (FFT, autocorrelation,
etc...). We are interested in extracting pitch from mothers'
infant-directed speech in real time, or in sequential time windows of
up to a few seconds. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Second, the practical. I'm looking for ways to implement these
algorithms. MAX/MSP seems really promising, but I'd be really open to
other suggestions.

I'd be happy to compile any responses and post them to the list.

Thanks,

Nick

Nicholas A. Smith
Department of Psychology