Funds for UK PhD students to attend the Cochlear Implant conference at Asilomar, CA

As was done in 1999 and 2001, Defeating Deafness (a UK charity) has agreed
to provide some support for a small number of Ph.D. students to attend the
2003 Conference on Implantable Auditory Prostheses:
(Asilomar, California; 17-22 August,
http://www.iupui.edu/~iuoto/asilomar/asilomar.html).
A total of #2000 is available, which will be split among 2-4 candidates.
Clearly, the amount available will not cover the total expenses, but should
provide an important supplement to other funding.

Those eligible to apply are Ph.D. students and recent post-doctoral students
at UK institutions. Preference will be given to candidates involved in
cochlear implant research or attached to a cochlear implant programme.
Please send applications to me by email on or before 16 June. A decision
will be made by 23 June. They should include a brief CV, a statement of
research interests, a statement of the potential benefits of attending the
conference, and a supporting letter from the supervisor or current "boss".
It is a condition of the funding that a brief report be sent to Defeating
Deafness after the conference.

If you are considering applying, I would appreciate a short message right
away so I can gauge the demand.

Please forward this message to anyone you think might be interested.

Stuart Rosen, Ph.D.
Professor of Speech and Hearing Science
Dept. of Phonetics & Linguistics
University College London