Canada Research Chair in Hearing, Speech, Language

Hi all,

We have an opening for a Canada Research Chair in hearing, speech, and language at the University of Toronto at Mississauga.  The successful candidate will become a member of the new Centre for Research on Biological Communication Systems.  This Centre will occupy 2000 square meters of a new building currently under construction and scheduled for completion in July, 2004.  The ad for the position appears below.  Anyone interested should feel free to contact me.

Canada Research Chair at the advanced Associate or Full Professor level in hearing, speech, or language.

The University of Toronto at Mississauga (UTM), Department of Psychology, invites applications for a tenure track faculty position in hearing, speech, and/or language at the advanced associate or full professor level, effective July 1, 2004.  The successful candidate will become a member of the new Centre for Research on Biological Communication Systems (CRBCS), and will be nominated for a Tier I Chair in the prestigious Canada Research Chair Program ( GOTOBUTTON BM_1_ http://www.chaires.gc.ca). These federally endowed chairs are open to all nationalities.

We are looking for a person interested in human communication who takes a computational approach to the study of hearing, speech, or language.  The successful applicant will be expected to maintain an active, externally funded program of research and to contribute to the education and training of undergraduate and graduate students.  Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.

The successful applicant will join the Human Communication Research Group within CRBCS. This highly successful research group will be moving in July, 2004, to a newly constructed 2000 square meter research facility, containing ten sound-proof chambers and state-of-the art signal-processing and behavioural recording equipment (in both audio and visual modalities) that will permit researchers to study any aspect of human communication.  The successful applicant will be appointed to the graduate faculty in Psychology (with opportunities for cross-appointments to other relevant Departments) and will be invited to contribute to a new program in Communication, Culture, and Information Technology (CCIT), jointly sponsored by UTM and Sheridan College (http://ccit.erin.utoronto.ca/).

The University of Toronto at Mississauga, one of three campuses of the University of Toronto, is located in the City of Mississauga, on the western border of Toronto, approximately 20 km from Toronto’s Civic Centre. In light of the extensive expansion (60% growth) projected to occur at UTM over the next 10 years, we anticipate the addition of many new positions in Psychology and the Life Sciences.  New buildings are being constructed, and existing laboratory facilities are being renovated to support expansion in Human Communication and Technology, Bio-technology, and Behavioural-Genetics.  Please see our website for further details ( GOTOBUTTON BM_2_ http://www.erin.utoronto.ca/~w3psy/).

Interested applicants should submit a curriculum vitae, statement of research and teaching interests, and copies of representative publications to Dr. Bruce A. Schneider, Department of Psychology, University of Toronto at Mississauga, 3359 Mississauga Road North, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, L5L 1C6.  Three letters of recommendation should also be sent to Dr. Schneider.  On July 1, 2003, we will begin to consider and interview those candidates with completed files, although the search will remain open until a successful candidate is found.
The University especially welcomes applications from visible minority group members, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, members of sexual minority groups, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.