Re: Height and pitch

Andrew Lyons asked:

> Can anybody comment on the idea that cultures that are not educated in the
> western music tradition tend to make random selections in relation to the
> relationship between pitch and height?

Unless a person is pitch deaf (see my previous message) there never is a
random selection on the given pitch scale.

A pitch scale, however, is not bound to a vertical dimension. In Java a tone
is not something between low and high. It is something between big and
small.

Martin

Martin Braun
Neuroscience of Music