Re: PC sound cards

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, David Isherwood wrote:
> The main problem with such soundcards is that ALL internal processing
> is done at a sampling rate of 48kHz, which means that any audio stream
> having a different sampling rate than this must be upsampled at the i/p
> buss and downsampled at the o/p. The quality of this onboard sample rate
> conversion can vary greatly from card to card with some soundcards
> producing very noticeable artifacts.

Am I correct in believing that this implies that I should better
work with sampling rates that are integer dividers of 48 Khz (e.g. 16
Khz rather than, say, 22050 Hz)? I hope all sample rate
conversion algorithms should be able to correctly oversample by an
integer (?)

Christophe Pallier
www.pallier.org