Re: AUDITORY Digest - 21 Jan 2003 to 22 Jan 2003 (#2003-17)

Hi,

Although it certainly can't be considered to be polyphony, the best example
of streaming in Baroque music I can think of is the Toccata in d minor BWV
565? (possibly one of the most over-played works in the world, after
Pachelbel's "Canon" and Avril Lavigne's "Complicated"...)

A couple of bars in, after the big resolution to the d minor chord, there's
a 16th note section that alternates between an A above middle C and the
"melody." Sorry to be a little obscure, but I'm working from memory... it's
been a number of years since I've played it, and my score is home...

Cheers
.geoff
Geoff Martin Ph.D.
Tonmeister, Bang & Olufsen a/s
email: ggm@bang-olufsen.dk
web: www.tonmeister.ca
web: www.bang-olufsen.com
phone: +45 96 84 49 54

|         |           Automatic digest |
|         |           processor        |
|         |           <LISTSERV@LISTS.M|
|         |           CGILL.CA>        |
|         |           Sent by: AUDITORY|
|         |           Research in      |
|         |           Auditory         |
|         |           Perception       |
|         |           <AUDITORY@LISTS.M|
|         |           CGILL.CA>        |
|         |           23-01-2003 06:00 |
|         |           AUDITORY         |
|         |           Research in      |
|         |           Auditory         |
|         |           Perception       |
  |                                                                                                                                                  |
  |       To:       Recipients of AUDITORY digests <AUDITORY@LISTS.MCGILL.CA>                                                                        |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                                        |
  |       Subject:  AUDITORY Digest - 21 Jan 2003 to 22 Jan 2003 (#2003-17)                                                                          |

A legal (30 sec.) excerpt of BWV 363 may probably be made available on
the Auditory List Home Page, if someone can provide it.  Are more
salient examples of Baroque polyphony known?

Luc Rousseau, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Psychology
Laurentian University
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

End of AUDITORY Digest - 21 Jan 2003 to 22 Jan 2003 (#2003-17)