Re: AUDITORY Digest - 15 Jan 2003 to 16 Jan 2003 (#2003-13)

I would look at GA Millers work:

author={Miller, G. A. and Heise, G. A. and Lichten, W.},
year={1951},
title={The intelligibility of speech as a function of the context
       of the test material},
journal={J. Exp. Psychol.},
volume={41},
pages={329-335} }

,author={Miller, G. A.}
,title={Decision units in the perception of speech}
,journal="IRE Transactions on Information Theory"
,year=1962
,month=feb
,volume={}
,number={}
,pages={81--83}
,note_={Grammar = 4 dB of SNR; is it just a first order grammer?
       It is less than 5th.} }

,author={Miller, G. A. and Isard, S.}
,title={Some perceptual consequences of linguistic rules}
,journal="Jol. of Verbal Learning and Verbal Behavior"
,year=1963
,month={}
,volume={2}
,number={}
,pages={217-228}

I have e versions of the last two of these, but there are copyright
issues, I suspect.
I will trade my last two for anyone who can get me the first one in
scaned form.

Claude Shannon also did some work on this, but I doubt that is what you
are looking for here.
Jont