Re: data reduction: Ear damage by MP3, DVD and digital television?

Laszlo Toth asked:

> On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, Martin Braun wrote:
>
> > Many tinnitus patients would be useful subjects to test a possible
> > difference between conventional and vastly lossy sound reproduction. Is
> > anybody aware if such investigations have ever been run?
> >
> What kind of investigations would you suggest?
> (I have a slight tinnitus and listen to mp3 almost daily...)

For a serious study it would be necessary to control many details. But if
you are just interested in a preliminary personal test, you might do
something like the following.

1) Take a piece of music that you like to hear. More importantly, take a
piece of which you know that it can occasionally increase the subjective
level of your tinnitus.

2) Transcode this piece into mp3, and also into wma (wma has an even
stronger and better data reduction that mp3).

3) Now wait for an occasion when your selected piece, in the original
version, increases your tinnitus. After that, switch off the original and
switch on the mp3 or wma version. Compare the effects upon your tinnitus.

Good luck,

Martin

Martin Braun
Neuroscience of Music