Re: Temporal encoding of pitch from resolved harmonics

Hi Annemarie,

>are there any studies reporting pitch extraction from low, resolved
>harmonics that can only be attributed to temporal phase locking but not
>to spectral encoding?

Sounds like an impossible experiment!

The very fact that the harmonics are resolved implies that there must be
spectral information. You might be able to argue about whether the results
are more consistent with a spectral or a temporal explanation (as many
have), but I don't think you'd be able to rule out spectral cues entirely.
At least not for a common-or-garden complex tone.

I suppose you could construct the harmonics using bandpass AM noise at
different rates or something, but that would be cheating!

Cheers, Chris

          Chris Plack - psychoacoustician, pop star
       Department of Psychology, University of Essex,
          Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, CO4 3SQ, UK.
                      Tel: (01206) 873493
                      Fax: (01206) 873590
 http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~cplack/welcome.html