Re: Gestalts under the pretext of Melodic consonance

Harry Erwin <herwin@OSF1.GMU.EDU> wrote/quoted (in part) :

>Griffin, 1958, Listening in the Dark:
>"The Wiederorientierung Phenomena [...]
>This suggested that bats use and maintain a world model that is
>only modified to match reality if circumstances force it to reorient.
[...]
>"The implication of this work was that bats seemed to have an internal
>world model-a predictive planning process-that was updated based on
>sensory data only when significant novelty was detected. There appears
>be a match/mismatch process (Pribram, 1971) than filters the large
amount
>of data that the bat's echolocation cries generate down to unexpected
>events that are likely to matter to the bat. A similar pattern of
>habituation to the environment is seen in most vertebrates; bats only
take
>it further."
>
>My point is that bats seem to memorize the sound experience of flying
>in familiar space. I'll leave it to others to speculate.
Thanks for allowing of some speculation... Well, if it is comparable
than certainly with respect to a first processing/gradual consolidating
of information (due to sort of a "dual memory architecture") that is
useful to meet the circumstances of the daily (environmental/social)
surroundings. And it is also this "evolutionary" aspect to which I would
subject the idea of an "internal world model", hence that it is above
all one adapted to the needs of the respective species, as has been
developed and approved/reinforced ; here, too, I would assume a
combination of both disposition and adaptability (according to the
nature of the species and the individual each), where the degree of
flexibility (i.e., adaptability to (changing) circumstances) might
differ between different species : in addition to conditioned (e.g.,
initial shaping) there do yet exist natural "constraints" like migration
or tying to breeding-grounds that would yet plead for the implication of
some (less individual than inherited) "world model".
Sincerely,
Alexandra Hettergott.

_______________________
Alexandra Hettergott