Re: Cochlear travelling wave. An epiphenomenon? Re: Cochlear tr

Dear Neil and List:

Thankyou for reminding us that there are good reasons for believing the TW
in amphibians isn't necessary. These cases are instructive, for they can
help us gauge what conditions are necessary for setting up a TW.

It is of particular interest that the crocodile ear and that of many birds
incorporates a 'cochlear shunt' - in particular, a hole through the basilar
membrane at the oval-window end called the ductis brevis (Kohlloffel, Hear.
Res. 13 (1984), 77-81). In some birds such as goose the duct is very wide.
In terms of TW models, it is difficult to see how the required 'differential
pressure' can be maintained, and the TW propagate, with such a short circuit
in place.

Similar short circuits have been noted in humans. Tonndorf (Acta Oto-laryng.
50 (1959), 171) relates a case where a person had 'open communication'
between scala vestibuli of the first turn and scala typani of the second
turn (observed post mortem), yet the person's audiogram before death showed
that hearing for frequencies below the locus of the lesion was normal.
Tonndorf also mentions cases where subjects had portions of their BM
completely ossified, but they still heard normally.

To me, the only possible explanation of this evidence is a common-mode
pressure response of the partition. I would certainly like to hear a TW
explanation.

Andrew Bell