Re: First moment of a spectrum

Al ,
This sounds correct to me, so being defined as the abscissa of the mass
centre of the drawn surface. To define the location (and spreading -2nd
order moment) of a Heisenberg box in a time frequency plane we also use the
same integral, one in time, the other in frequency. Here you deal only with
frequency and their corresponding amplitudes, your calculation resulting in
the frequency "mass" location along the frequency axis. It makes sense to
call it the first moment, or just as well, the mean frequency (estimate).

Eric.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eric Delory

Acoustic Research Laboratory