Tech report on speech segregation

The following technical report is available via FTP/WWW:

"A Comparison of Auditory and Blind Separation Techniques for Speech
Segregation"

Technical Report #15, June 1999

The Ohio State University

        Andre J. W. van der Kouwe, The Ohio State University
        DeLiang L. Wang, The Ohio State University
        Guy J. Brown, The University of Sheffield

A fundamental problem in auditory and speech processing is the segregation of
speech from concurrent sounds. This problem has been a focus of study in
computational auditory scene analysis (CASA), and it has also been recently
investigated from the perspective of blind source separation. Using a
standard corpus of voiced speech mixed with interfering sounds, we report a
comparison between CASA and blind source separation techniques, which have
been developed independently. Our comparison reveals that they perform well
under very different conditions. A number of conclusions are drawn with
respect to their relative strengths and weaknesses in speech segregation
applications as well as in modeling auditory function.

(10 pages, 92 KB compressed)

for anonymous ftp:
        FTP-HOST: ftp.cis.ohio-state.edu
        Directory: /pub/tech-report/1999/
        Filename: TR15.ps.gz

for WWW:
        http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~dwang/reports.html

My contact information through September, 1999 is:

Dr. DeLiang Wang
Visual Sciences Lab.
William James Hall
Harvard University
33 Kirkland Street
Cambridge, MA 02138

Email: dwang@wjh.harvard.edu (my OSU email address is good too)
Phone: 617-496-3367 (OFFICE); 617-495-3884 (LAB)
Fax: 617-495-3764