Re: MEG headphones

Christian Kaernbach wrote:

> Does anyone use (or know someone who uses) non feromagnetic (piezo)
> headphones for magnetoecephalography (MEG) experiments? Usual sound
> application is via elastic tubes from speakers outside of the
> magneto-shielding booth, with really bad sound transmission values.
> Piezo headphones might provide good sound transmission without
> disturbing the magnetic field. Information on providers of such
> equipment (and approx. prices) would be highly welcome. Is it difficult
> to install? Does it need shielding tubes for the wires?
>
> Thanks,
> Christian
>
> --
> Dr. Christian Kaernbach
> Institut fuer Allgemeine Psychologie
> Universitaet Leipzig
> Seeburgstr. 14-20     Tel.: +49 341 97-35968, Fax: -35969
> 04 103 Leipzig        mailto:chris@psychologie.uni-leipzig.de
> Germany               http://www.uni-leipzig.de/~psycho/kaernbach/

Dear Auditory List,

Etymotic Research, Elk Grove Village, Illinois
sells earphones that may be used under ultrahigh magnetic fields.
They are basically insert earphones ('tube phones') with 20 foot
plastic tubes to deliver the sound. This is a comercial product.

http://www.etymotic.com/html/index.html

Look under 'insert earphones' at the 'ER-30'

Jont
--
Jont B. Allen
AT&T Labs-Research, Shannon Laboratory