Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 10:43:12 -0700
From: Pierre Divenyi <pdivenyi@marva4.ebire.org>
Subject: Re: Stevan Harnad: CogPrints: Archive of Articles in Psychology...

Cher Christophe,

You have completely missed the point of my comment to Stevan Harnad's
suggestion on electronic publication. The main reason is that you see the
situation from your own environment which, thanks to a slew of built-in
protection for academics and researchers that you benefit from in France as
well as in the majority of Western European countries, makes the question
of whether to publish or not by-and-large optional. Let me tell you that in
the U.S. it is not. In other words, you are quite pampered-spoiled by our
standards. Maybe you should also be informed that the majority of American
contributors to the auditory list is able to do research through the sole
support of government agencies that adhere to the publication policies I
outlined in my note. Thus, you should not try to admonish those of us for
whom there is no alternative but to adhere to these policies. If you want
the policies to change, address your criticism to the agencies.

For your information, personally I would be quite in favor of having all
publications available electronically. My private opinion, however, weighs
very little in this matter which amounts to fighting windmills stronger
than even Stevan Harnad's personal opinion: according to what I gathered
from the information on the web pages he wanted us to see, his many years
of effort, alas, have accomplished very little. The establishment is strong
and you guys in France are unlikely to be able to export a second French
Revolution to conquer it.

Pierre Divenyi

------- End of Forwarded Message