[no subject]

>Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 10:59:52 +0100
>To: sarabande@brandeis.edu
>From: msm@gugu.usal.es
>Cc: merchan, lopezde, saldana, plaza, vbajo, msm, nodal, riquelme, nodal,
>        riquelme, vero, mikelsan
>
>Please sign at the bottom to support, and include your town.  Then
>>copy and e-mail to as many people as possible. If you receive this  list
>>with more than 50 names on it, please e-mail a copy of it to
>><mailto:sarabande@brandeis.edu>sarabande@brandeis.edu Even  if you decide
>>not to sign, please be
>>considerate and do not kill the  petition. Thank you.  It is best to copy
>>rather than forward the  petition.
>TEXT:
>>
>> The government of  Afghanistan is waging a war upon women. The situation is
>>getting so bad  that one person in an editorial of the times compared the
>>treatment of  women there to the treatment of Jews in  pre-Holocaust
>>Poland.
>>Since the Taliban took power in 1996, women  have had to wear burqua and
>>have been beaten and stoned in public for not  having the proper attire,
>>even if this means simply not having the mesh  covering in front of their
>>eyes. One woman was beaten to DEATH by an  angry mob of fundamentalists for
>>accidentally exposing her arm while she  was driving.  Another was stoned>to
>>death for trying to leave  the country with a man that was not a
>>relative.
>>Women are not  allowed to work or even go out in public without a male
>>relative;  professional women such as professors, translators,  doctors,
>>lawyers,artists and writers have been forced from their jobs and  stuffed
>>into their homes, so that depression is becoming so widespread  that it has
>>reached emergency levels.
>> There is no way in such an  extreme Islamic society to know the suicide
>>rate with certainty, but  relief workers are estimating that the suicide
rate
>>among women, who  cannot find proper medication and treatment for severe
>>depression and  would rather take their lives than live in such conditions,
>>has increased  significantly.   Homes where a woman is present must have
>>their  windows painted so that she can never be seen by outsiders.   They
>>must wear silent shoes so that they are never heard. Women live in  fear of
>>their lives for the slightest misbehavior. Because they cannot  work, those
>>without male relatives or husbands are either starving to  death or begging
>>on the street, even if they hold Ph.D.'s. There are  almost no medical
>>facilities available for women, and relief workers, in  protest, have mostly
>>left the country, taking medicine and psychologists  and other things
>>necessary to treat the sky-rocketing level of depression  among women.
>>  At one of the rare hospitals for women, a reporter  found still, nearly
>>lifeless bodies lying motionless on top of beds,  wrapped in their burqua,
> [...]

Manuel  S. Malmierca, M.D., Ph.D.
Laboratory for the Neurobiology of Hearing
The Institute of Neuroscience of  'Castilla y Leon' (INCyL)
Faculty of Medicine. University of Salamanca
Campus 'Miguel de Unamuno'
37007 Salamanca - Spain

phone: 34 - 923 - 29 44 00, ext. 1861 or  --- 29 45 63
fax: 34 - 923 - 29 45 49
e-mail: msm@gugu.usal.es
http://www-incyl.usal.es/