Re: Auditory delays

While the neurophysiological basis of evoked auditory and magnetic fields
are not well understood they are generally thought to reflect the net extra
or intracellular currents, respectively,  generated in the apical dendrites
of pyramidal neurons in auditory cortex (ie. post-synaptic potentials).

Hari, R. (1983). Auditory evoked magnetic fields of the human brain. Revue
de Laryngologie Otologie Rhinologie, 104(2), 143-51
Hari, R. (1991). On brain's magnetic responses to sensory stimuli. [Review]
[33 refs]. Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology, 8(2), 157-69
Mitzdorf, U. (1991). Physiological sources of evoked potentials.
Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology (Suppl. 42), 47-57
Naatanen, R. A. K. (1995). Generators of electrical and magnetic mismatch
Nunez, P. L. (1981). Electrical Fields of the Brain. New York: Oxford
University Press.

At 11:59 AM 1/19/99 +0200, you wrote:
>Aniruddh Patel wrote:
>>
>> Dear Auditory list,
>>
>> Does anyone happen to know a reference which reports the delay between
>> the arrival of sound at the ear and the arrival of stimulus-related
>> activity (esp. synaptic potentials) in primary auditory cortex?  Does
>> this delay depend on the amplitude of the stimulus?  I'm particularly
>> interested in data from humans.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ani Patel
>> --
>> Aniruddh D. Patel
>> The Neurosciences Institute
>> 10640 John Jay Hopkins Dr.
>> San Diego, CA 92121
>>
>> 619-626-2085 tel
>> 619-626-2099 fax
>> apatel@nsi.edu
>>
>> Email to AUDITORY should now be sent to AUDITORY@lists.mcgill.ca
>> LISTSERV commands should be sent to listserv@lists.mcgill.ca
>> Information is available on the WEB at http://www.mcgill.ca/cc/listserv
>

>Dear Ani Patel,
>
>the delay between to onset of the stimulus and the evoked potentials /
>fields at the human primary auditory cortex has been found to be of
>about 30 ms (so called "middle latency components" of EEG and MEG).
>
>For more detailled information I would recommend to read:
>
>Pantev et al. (1995): "Specific tonotopic organizations of different
>areas of the human auditory cortex revealed by simultaneous magnetic and
>electric recordings". Electroencephalography and clinical
>Neurophysiology 94, 26-40.
>
>There is evidence that the latency is shortened with increasing
>loudness up to about 60 dB nHL.
>Furthermore, there is evidence of an amplitopic organization of the
>secondary auditory cortex (latency: about 100 ms), i.e. the locus of
>maximal excitation seems to depend on intensity as well (Pantev et al.
>(1986): "Causes of differences in the input-output characteristics of
>simultaneously recorded auditory evoked magnetic fields and potentials",
>Audiology, 25, 263-276).
>

>Best regards,
>
>Annemarie Seither-Preisler
>

>Annemarie Seither-Preisler, Ph.D.
>Dept. of Experimental Audiology
>Westfalian University Muenster
>D-48129 Muenster, Germany
>
>McGill is running a new version of LISTSERV (1.8d on Windows NT).
>Information is available on the WEB at http://www.mcgill.ca/cc/listserv

Bill Budd

Cognitive Neuroscience Laboratory, Dept of Psychology
University of Western Australia, Nedlands W.A. 6907

Ph:   +61 8 9380 1413 or +61 8 9347 6424
FAX: +61 8 9380 1006
Email:  bill@psy.uwa.edu.au