Re: digital recording media

At 1:10 pm -0600 11/1/99, Sheila Williams wrote:
>Dear list,
>
>I would be most grateful for advice from anyone with experience of using
>portable digital recording equipment?
>
>There seem to be two choices available now, Digital Audio Tape or Minidisc.

Sheila,
I think I have a fairly similar set up to yours. I was advised to get a DAT
rather than a Minidisc, as the compression used in the Minidisc system may
not preserve the digital/acoustic information needed for further analysis.

If you need details of this I can get them from my colleague.

I use a portable Sony DAT TCD-D7 and a Sony lapel mike, which is fine for
adults (but not children!).  The DAT has a digital output, although I don't
use this when transferring to the Kay system, Sony has a connection kit
which I have been told will work.

Happy New Year

Kevin

Kevin L. Baker                              .
Senior Lecturer in Psychology       .
Dept of Human Communication         tel +44 116 257 7761
De Montfort University                 fax +44 116 257 7008
Leicester  LE7 9SU, U.K.            http://www.dmu.ac.uk/~klb

Email to AUDITORY should now be sent to AUDITORY@lists.mcgill.ca
LISTSERV commands should be sent to listserv@lists.mcgill.ca
Information is available on the WEB at http://www.mcgill.ca/cc/listserv