Re: Physics of Chilly Magnus Chord Organs

The frequency depends on the acoustic length L and the velocity of sound c, where

        f=c/L

The velocity of sound is porportional to the square root of temperature,
in degrees Kelvin. Thus c \propto sqrt(C+273) where C is the temperature
in degrees C.

The pitch, as I use the term, is the psychological frequency. This depends
on a lot of factors. Thus "pitch" is not relevant to the question.

As I use the term, pitch is not the same as frequency. However, in the casual
speech literature, they use the term to mean the fundamental frequency
of the vocal cord vibration.

This is from my dictionary (AHD)
8. a. Acoustics The distinctive quality of a sound,
dependent primarily on the frequency of the sound waves produced by its source.
b. Music The relative position of a tone within a range of musical sounds,
as determined by this quality.
c. Music Any of various standards for this quality associating
each tone with a particular frequency.

--
Jont B. Allen (Technology Leader)
AT&T Labs-Research, Shannon Laboratory

McGill is running a new version of LISTSERV (1.8d on Windows NT).
Information is available on the WEB at http://www.mcgill.ca/cc/listserv