Re: 'pressure at the ears' visiting an anechoic chamber

Dear List,
        If Jont/Cyril's explanation is correct, perhaps that also explains
the similar feeling of pressure experienced when one enters a much quieter
(but not sound-isolated) environment after having been exposed to loud sound
for a long period of time (temporary threshold shift may be greater for high
frequencies than lows).  A couple of questions related to the 'unlearning'
of this sensation:  do people with a substantial hearing loss, esp in the
higher frequencies, experience the same pressure sensation upon entering a
sound-isolated room, and do workers who are routinely exposed to loud sounds
experience a pressure sensation when they leave the work environment?

Jennifer Tufts

Email to AUDITORY should now be sent to AUDITORY@lists.mcgill.ca
LISTSERV commands should be sent to listserv@lists.mcgill.ca
Information is available on the WEB at http://www.mcgill.ca/cc/listserv