Re: 'pressure at the ears' visiting an anechoic chamber

Malcolm,

>>> When visitors enter -for the first time- our (rather large) anechoic
>>> chamber, they are always complaining about the strange 'pressure
>>> at their ears'. Similar as listening to 'much out of phase' signals in
>>

>I'm pretty sure that the ear-popping is due to the pressure change as the
>door is pulled shut.  The anechoic chambers I have been in have a door
>jamb much like a tunnel.  You pull the door shut and the pressure in the
>room increases.  I suspect our ears have very little experience with such
>pressure changes in normal life.

        ... This is a very strange sensation.
        ... I experienced it at CBS Labs in the early 70's.
        ... However, the tech who ran the chamber (speaker & mic testing)
        always left the door open as he was always going in and out to
        make adjustments/changes.
        ... So, I'm certain my own experience was with the door open.
        ... I've asked Ronald some questions and suggested some
        simple experiments to possibly perceive further effects.
        ... I also believe this is, as you and Al Bregman have commented,
        a learning issue but, due to the novelty, this may be an opportunity
        to learn something fundamental about hearing.

Rich

McGill is running a new version of LISTSERV (1.8d on Windows NT).
Information is available on the WEB at http://www.mcgill.ca/cc/listserv