Re: Granular synthesis and auditory segmentation

Rich Fabbri wrote

> ... Have you tried the stereo experiment described in my posting:
>     - UNmixing Sources, i.e., The Cocktail Party Effect.
>
> ... This is a easily repeated experiment that "unambiguously demonstrate[s]
> temporal processing in humans in the 3 to 5 kHz range".  Actually, in an
> arbitrary (wideband) range since *you* select the two (2) sources.
>
> ... Basically, this experiment demonstrates that the Precedence Effect acts
> as a temporal "filter".

No, I haven't tried this, because I understood from your
earlier decriptions that the sounds you used (human voices)
included frequencies below 3 kHz as well. I did not study
your ideas in detail, but I got the impression that it
is some kind of (interesting, though) precedence effect
"on top of" [B]MLD (binaural masking level differences)
and binaural phase detection.

I *did* perform informal experiments with MLD's, and found
that the effect vanishes between 1 and 2 kHz, largely in
accordance with Brian Moore's description of the phenomenon.
Binaural phase detection too has been reported to vanish
around these transition frequencies. Hence, anything
"on top of" MLD and binaural phase detection most likely
vanishes too at that transition frequency.

Did you try using steeply high-pass filtered "voices"
such that only 3 kHz and higher frequencies remained?
Otherwise, your experiments simply do not apply to my
questioning the neural "temporal processing" above
3 kHz in terms of psychophysically observable effects.

Best wishes,

Peter Meijer

Soundscapes from The vOICe - Seeing with your Ears!
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Peter_Meijer/

McGill is running a new version of LISTSERV (1.8d on Windows NT).
Information is available on the WEB at http://www.mcgill.ca/cc/listserv