Re: Critical bands

Does anyone know the experimental standard deviation of a critical bandwidth of
 hearing?
A few years ago, someone told me it is on the order of 50% which sounds too high
 to me.
I am not picky about which type of measurement is used,
but I am working with the Bark and ERB scales,
so classical narrowband masking and notched-noise based
definitions would be ideal.

Since I will be mentioning this in a paper I am revising
for the IEEE SAP, it would be ideal to have
a reference, but a "private communication" would also work.
Heck, it can even be an "anonymous source", I suppose.

Thanks for any info,
Julius Smith
CCRMA, Stanford

Email to AUDITORY should now be sent to AUDITORY@lists.mcgill.ca