The Next WAVe(sm): Auditory Browsing in Web and non-Web Databases

                        _The Next WAVe(sm):_
        Auditory Browsing in Web and non-Web Databases

I am pleased to announce the formal establishment of _The Next WAVe(sm)_, a
new clearinghouse devoted to Auditory Browsing in Web and non-Web databases. The
URL for _The Next WAVe(sm)_ is:

        http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/Wave.htm

I believe that the projects, research, products and services profiled in
_The Next WAVe(sm)_ will be of interest to librarians and computer scientists
 alike
who seek to enhance access to Web information sources as well as information
 found in
conventional database systems.

For those who have limited knowledge about Auditory Displays, I strongly
recommend reading any and all of the excellent papers from the first
 international
conference on auditory display organized by the International Community for
 Auditory
Display (ICAD).

Gregory Kramer (editor), AUDITORY DISPLAY: SONIFICATION, AUDIFICATION AND
AUDITORY INTERFACES Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Inc., Reading,
Massachusetts, 1994. ISBN 0-201-62603-9

This volume is a seminal work in the field. [I strongly recommend that every
research library obtain a copy for their collections.]

I also strongly suggest a visit to the ICAD homepage at

                http://www.santafe.edu/~icad/

I believe that both the able and disabled will find the efforts profiled in
_The Next WAVe(sm)_ to an important resource of value for facilitating access to
 Web
resources.

I am greatly interested in developing this clearinghouse further and would
greatly appreciate learning of other research, projects, products, and services
 in
the following
areas:

Auditory exploration of data via sonification
Audification (audible playback of data samples)
Real Time monitoring of multivariate data
Sound in Immersive Interfaces (Virtual Environments)
Perceptual issues in Auditory Display
Sound in generalized computer interfaces
Technologies supporting Auditory Display creation
Data handling for Auditory
Display systems Applications of Auditory Display

I am particularly interested in projects in Assistive Technology as well as
auditory or multimodal access in computer interface and the use of sound in data
 mining
and Knowledge Discovery in Databases (KDD) [For information about DM and KDD,
see my Four-T-Nine-R(sm) project at:
 http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/4T9R.htm]

_The Next WAVe(sm)_ is the second in a series of three planned
clearinghouses devoted to Sensory Information Navigation (SIN) [:->]. _The Next
 WAVe(sm)_ complements
_The Big Picture_, my clearinghouse devoted to Information Visualization
 available at

       http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/BigPic.htm

As always, Any and All suggestions, comments, critiques, queries, questions
and/or contributions are most welcome.

Regards,

Gerry McKiernan
Curator, CyberStacks(sm)
Iowa State University
and
Science and Technology Librarian
Iowa State University Library
152 Parks
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck@iastate.edu
[http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/]

"The Best Way to Predict the Future is To Invent It!"
Attributed to Peter Drucker