Re: An idea whose time has com: NetBib

At 03:32 PM 4/24/98 -0400, Rebecca Mercuri wrote:
>I have an alternate suggestion....since updating the database is a
>tedious and time-consuming chore, and also error-prone unless the
>individual edits their own references.....
>
>Why not just ask everyone in the group to make a page on their website
>with their paper references -- everyone should have a web site by now, yes?
>And everyone's website should have their papers referenced on it, yes?
>And even better, they can link those references to the actual PAPERS if
>they exist online too. (I've been working on this last point...but am
>not totally there yet.)
>
>So the suggestion is that each person in the group provide just the
>website link, and we distribute those. Or better yet, we create a website
>and link the references right on there for the members. This would provide
>a useful resource, keep the maintanance to a minimum, and encourage the
>members to maintain their own references locally.
>
>As a start, here's my website:
>
>        http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~mercuri
>        When there, click on Publications in the Contents.
>
>What do you think?
>Rebecca Mercuri.

In my opinion, Jont's solution is better because everything would be at one
place. If the individual can update/correct/maintain his/her contribution
at Jont's site, then I see no danger of ending up with garbage. In
addition, most of us have access to other bibliographical databases (some
of which include abstracts and links to papers), so Jont's idea would
mainly help us getting oriented whenever we are in urgent need of a set of
quick references.

With my respect to Rebecca, I vote no on her proposal.

        Pierre

Pierre Divenyi             Experimental Audiology Research (151)
                           V.A. Medical Center, Martinez, CA 94553, USA
Phone: (510) 370-6745;     Fax: (510) 228-5738
E-mail :                   PDivenyi@ucdavis.edu