[no subject]

Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 10:05:39 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Toth Laszlo <tothl@inf.u-szeged.hu>
To: Multiple recipients of list AUDITORY <AUDITORY@VM1.MCGILL.CA>
Subject: Re: consonant/vowel characterization

On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Franck Ramus wrote:

> I'm looking for any information and references relevant to the following
> question:
>     When listening to the speech signal, how do you distinguish between
> consonants and vowels? Are there any acoustical features that allow a fair
> discrimination?
> [...]
>     Do you know of any work on that (C/V characterization, discrimination
> algorithm, simulation...)?

This atricle might be interesting for you:
M.A. Cohen - S. Grossberg: Parallel Auditory Filtering by Sustained and
Transient Channels Separates Coarticulated Vowels and Consonants,
IEEE Trans. Speech and Audio Processing, Vol. 5. No. 4. July 1997

*               Toth Laszlo                   *                              *
*        Hungarian Academy of Sciences        * "In our life there's if      *
*  Research Group on Artificial Intelligence  *  In our beliefs there's lie  *
*                                             *  In our business there's sin *
*     e-mail: tothl@inf.u-szeged.hu           *  In our bodies there's die"  *
*     http://www.inf.u-szeged.hu/~tothl       *                              *