Boogie Bob's question

All too many years ago, I wrote a dissertation on the topic of melodic-
contextual dependency of the perception of rhythmic regularity. The
stimulus always consisted of three tone pulses of equal duration, with
onsets either equally spaced or the one of the last slightly delayed.
The frequency of the first two was f1 and that of the last f2. Onset-to-onset
duration range was held between 300 and 800 ms. The answer to Bob's-Bill's
question is that the acuity with which regularity of rhythm was perceived
in these micromelodies, indeed, depended on the context.

By the way, this work was published in the Iowa Studies in the Psychology
of Music, vol. 7, pp. 41-130 (1971). I still have a few copies left --
only brave souls need to apply.

        Pierre Divenyi

Pierre Divenyi             Experimental Audiology Research (151)
                           V.A. Medical Center, Martinez, CA 94553, USA
Phone: (510) 370-6745;     Fax: (510) 228-5738
E-mail :                   PDivenyi@ucdavis.edu