Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 21:31:11 -0230 (NDT)
From: Bruce Mann <bmann@morgan.ucs.mun.ca>
To: bregman@hebb.psych.mcgill.ca
Subject: From our phone conversation.

Are you working on communications/media research?  I'm looking for a
collaborator.

I'm interested in exploring auditory design principles for shifting
attention in multimedia (CAI or Internet applications).  I've studied the
effects of a specific design method for shifting attention between visual
and auditory (digitized speech) prompts in educational multimedia
environments.  Abstracts of these efforts are at:

        http://www.stemnet.nf.ca/~bmann/publications.html

Briefly, stochastic design methods are most prevalent in the literature.
Stochastic methods reflect outdated bottleneck theories of human attention.
Results using stochastic design methods have been mostly poor. Studies
using The SSF model, however have shown good immediate results in
student retention, and good results following a latency period. The SSF
Model relies on the explicitness and gist requirements inherent in tasks,
and the interrelatedness of spatial- and language-like representation.
-Bruce.

Bruce L. Mann, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Faculty of Education, Memorial University
St. John's, NF  Canada  A1B 3X8
(709)737-3416, (709)737-2345(fax)
http://www.stemnet.nf.ca/~bmann
Email: bmann@morgan.ucs.mun.ca