Re: comparison of vision and auditory system

Jont,
Years ago Hirsh and Sherrick (1961-JEP, 62, 423-432) concluded that within
and between-modality temporal acuity was pretty similar, based on temporal
ordering tasks.  I believe they did this using a classical psychophysical
method (probably the constant method, my memory is fuzzy on this and the
paper is not at hand). I recall more clearly that Don Sinex did
several similar inter-modality (and within) temporal acuity
experiments as his dissertation (Washington Univ., 1978), and found that
whenever vision was involved, the threshold were higher (worse).  That
is, the most accurate judgements of simultaneity or of inter-event times
were for auditory-auditory, tactile-tactile, and auditory-tactile
judgements, while the least accurate were for vision plus any modality.
That made sense to us, given the durations involved in photochemical
transduction, compared to those of mechanical or hydromechanical systems.
In general the subjects could detect arrival-time differences a good deal
smaller than 20 msec, the number associated with a lot of temporal-order
thresholds.

As to temporal acuity being "surprisingly bad," I think that depends on the
task, duration of training, etc..  For the most part listeners may not have
much reason to attend to very small temporal differences.  But when they are
trained to do so they can surprise you by performing almost up to the limits
imposed by the spectral spread of brief events.  We remarked on that in a
paper some years back:  Kelly and Watson (1986) "Stimulus-based limitations
on the discrimination between different temporal orders of tones."  JASA.,
79, 1934-1938.

Certainly, some binaural phenomena (e.g. being able to notice a 10 microsec
delay at one ear relative to the other) show that precise temporal (microsec)
information is carried as far as the olivary nuc., so at least at that level
the auditory system has far more precise temporal information available than
does the visual system at corresponding points...at least that has always
appeared to be a valid generalization.

Regards,

Chuck