Re: Choral singing

        I think this might also have to do with the difference between
the equal temperament of the piano and the very flexible perfect
intonation of a choir.  Whereas, for example, the fifths on the piano have
all been slightly stretched to make up for the pythagorean comma, in a
choir they may be all sung perfectly in tune, which is nevertheless flat
in equal temperament.  I can remember my old choir director constantly
conducting us with his eyebrows to remind us to keep the pitch up.  I
think the problem he had was that we were singing in tune, whereas he
wanted us to sing slightly sharp, so that we wouldn't go flat.  Strange if
you think about it.

                                             Sean Ferguson
                         Doctoral Candidate in Composition
                                         McGill University
                           email: ferguson@music.mcgill.ca

           "I believe in an open mind, but not so open that
       your brains fall out."
                -Arthur Hays Sulzberger
                    Publisher, The New York Times (1935-61)