timbre normalization by pitch

Here's my question:  can anyone direct me to experimental work showing
that sound source identification improves as listeners are exposed to
increasing numbers of different fundmental frequencies from that source?

Some theoretical motivation:

Normalization is a term that has been used (see Pisoni, 1997) to
describe how listeners learn to associate a timbrally-variant sound source
with a single label (e.g. what we think of as "the timbre of the violin"
encompasses the wide variety of acoustic signals occurring with variations
in pitch, loudness, expressive inflection, and so on).  The
normalization hypothesis is that sound-source learning occurs by the
listener searching for invariants across the source's range of sounds and
adjusting for differences between them to form an abstract and stable
representation of the sound source.  This conversion is assumed to
consist of selectively filtering out certain features of sounds as
irrelevant or idiosyncratic so that widely varying acoustic signals can
be regarded as equivalent.

Conceivably one could normalize a source by treating pitch as the
"irrelevant" detail, listen to several different pitches of the source,
and abstracting a representation of the source by what is common among them.
I haven't seen any experimental work on this question.  However, there
are interesting papers on aspects of normalization not involving
multiple pitches (Cho et al, 1993a, b; Mullennix et al, 1989; and Pitt,
1997).

Thanks in advance,
Greg Sandell