machine for pitch and timbral analysis (fwd)

Dear list,

I am not sure if this is the right list to post this question. But I am
giving it a try.

We are a newly established graduate institute of musicology at National
Taiwan University. We are trying to set up a new lab. The most basic
task we hope to accomplish is to be able to analyze the basic
elements of sound, such as frequency, amplitude, overtones, or other
elements related to pitch and timbral analysis. We also hope that the
machine can allow us to do some sound/image editing. Eventually, we hope
to expand the lab to do interdisciplinary studies with music perception
and cognition, collaborating with faculty in neural network, artificial
intelligence, medical engineering, acoustics, linguistics, etc.

I checked the web page for this list but could not find any information I
need. Hence my query here. Sorry if my questions are too unspecific.

Please reply privately. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Ying-fen Wang
National Taiwan University

p.s. How's your melody book coming?