Conference on modeling SNHL

To: Auditory List
From: Walt Jesteadt

        I sent the material below on an upcoming conference out to about 200
people 2 weeks ago, from a list we had assembled here.  Jont Allen suggested
sending it to the auditory list, which I was unaware existed.  Now that I am
on the list, I am sending the information again, with the hope of reaching a
few people who did not get the orignal mailing.  For those of you who did,
please ignore this message.  There is nothing new here.

                   Modeling Sensorineural Hearing Loss

                            June 10-11, 1995

A conference on modeling sensorineural hearing loss will be held at Boys
Town on June 10-11, 1995.  I am sending this email notice to everyone on
the email list we are assembling for the conference, including a few core
groups I have mailed to in the past and to those who have requested more
information after reading one of the recent notices.  I will send out
additional email updates as information becomes available, in an effort
to ensure that everyone has as much information as possible.  We will
also begin old fashioned hardcopy mailings soon.  Email is quick, easy,
and cheap, so those on the email list will always have the latest
information.

We are in the process of developing larger mailing lists.  Please feel
free to forward the messages to anybody that you think might be
interested.  Those not receiving this email directly from Walt Jesteadt
should send email to Jesteadt@Boystwown.org  to get on the list for
future direct mailings.  Those without email should write to:

     Walt Jesteadt, BTNRH, 555 N. 30th Street, Omaha, NE 68131

Subject Matter

     Many people who do hearing research are involved in various
     ways in modeling sensorineural hearing loss.  These modeling
     efforts take several different forms.  Some are focused on
     simulating hearing losses as closely as possible in listeners
     with normal hearing as a means of controlling for level
     effects.  Others are concerned with fitting data from listeners
     with hearing loss in a way that will allow them to predict
     performance for these individuals under various more adverse
     listening conditions.  Measures of performance range from
     loudness functions and properties of auditory filters to speech
     perception.  Others are concerned with predicting the degree of
     hearing loss that will occur under various noise exposure
     conditions and the relation between temporary and permanent
     threshold shift.  Still others are concerned with models and
     data at the neural or mechanical level that have direct
     implications for our understanding of the properties of
     sensorineural hearing loss.  Finally, there is great interest
     in optimum demonstrations of the properties of residual hearing
     for various degrees of hearing loss, so that those with normal
     hearing can gain a better understanding of what it is like to
     have a hearing loss.

     A conference to discuss these issues will be held at the Boys
     Town National Research Hospital on June 10-11, 1995.  Recent
     data and models will be presented in a format that encourages
     discussion.

Schedule and Format

The conference is scheduled for Sat-Sun, June 10-11.  That is a full week
after the spring meeting of the Acoustical Society of America.  The dates
were chosen to make it feasible for foreign friends attending the ASA
meeting to include the conference as part of the same trip.

Current plans call for approximately 30 presentations of 20 min each,
including discussion.  Presenters and co-authors will include Jont Allen,
Soren Buus, Judy Dubno, Larry Humes, Walt Jesteadt, Mary Florentine and
Marjorie Leek.  We will follow a format similar to that of the European
hearing research meetings.  Presenters will be asked to submit 8-10 page
papers in camera-ready format and as computer text files that will be
circulated in advance of the conference to encourage discussion.
Proceedings will be published as soon after the meeting as possible.
With the exception of a few keynote talks, all presentations will be on
topics selected by the presenters.   The conference will be held in a
130-seat auditorium on the Boys Town campus designed for interactive
meetings.

Timetable

Abstracts (200 words or less) should be submitted to Walt Jesteadt by
Feb. 15, 1995.  Notices of acceptance will be sent out by March 1st.
Presenters will be asked to submit 8-10 page papers by May 1st and copies
of those papers will be distributed to all presenters by May 15th.
Comments concerning other papers will be due June 5th.

Lodging and Registration

A block of rooms has been reserved for Friday and Saturday night, at the
Holiday Inn, Old Mill, near the Boys Town campus.  The rate with all
taxes included is approximately $60 per night for a single or double
room.  A registration fee of $100 per person will allow us to provide
transportation from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the
conference itself, lunch on Saturday at the conference, and a reception
at the Boys Town National Research Hospital Saturday evening with tours
of the facilities.  The registration fee will be waived for presenters.
A brochure providing more detailed information will be sent to you in
January.