Repp and many others

        Ed's criticism has some merit, and so does Al's reply. The truth
is somewhere in between. Perhaps I have been lazy and should have looked
up the old Fletcher and Zwicker papers that many referred me to. However,
the most useful hints so far concerned relevant research not yet
published: a paper by Moore and Glasberg on a revision of the Zwicker
model, and research on the relative loudness of instrument tones by
Pamela Goad at the University of Washington. It is this kind of
information that is most useful to me. Moreover, I asked a specific
question (What do current models predict about loudness as a function
of fundamental frequency in complex harmonic instrument tones?) which
only one person so far addressed (Richard Parncutt). But perhaps this
question is difficult to answer without a spectral analysis of the tones,
as predictions may differ for different instruments. Anyway, many thanks
to all who have responded to my query so far!

        While I may not have to apologize for my laziness, I must apologize
for my stupidity: By mistake I deleted half a dozen messages before
reading them. (I really wanted to delete a bunch of old e-mail messages
but forgot to select the old folder first.) Could those who replied to
my query AFTER receiving Ed Burns' comment please send their messages
again? I am very sorry.

        Bruno Repp